The Obama administration has referred to the Benghazi attacks as “a bump in the road” and “not optimal”. They have even asked “what difference” it makes whether the American people know the truth. The truth is on the night of September 11, 2012 four Americans lost their lives, two of them veterans of our military, in a violent terrorist attack. Our embassy was abandoned with no military assistance, despite military assets being just hours away. Immediately following the attacks, this administration lied to the American people claiming the attacks were the result of a spontaneous protest about an offensive YouTube video.
Gregory Hicks, the second-highest state department official in Libya during the attack and last person to talk to Ambassador Stevens, recently told Congress that he spoke with then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton the night of the attack and informed her that it was terrorist-related. He also called for military backup to defend the embassy, but nearby military personnel were told to stand down. After the attacks Hicks was demoted and told not to speak about the events, despite his over twenty years of service.
Reporters also have discovered edits to Ambassador Rice’s talking points which reveal that the State Department revised the talking points twelve times. Initially the attack was blamed on terrorist groups like Ansar al-Sharia, but by the twelfth edit the talking points had been scrubbed and no longer reflected the truth.
It’s clear from the Benghazi whistleblowers that the American people were blatantly lied to by this administration from the beginning. President Obama and Former Secretary of State Clinton knew that Benghazi was a terrorist attack and left our embassy to fend for itself. They sat by while our men died, and then lied to us to protect their own political careers.
The families of Ambassador Chris Stevens, Tyrone Woods, Glen Doherty, and Sean Smith deserve justice and the American people deserve the truth.